This new volume in the authoritative New Orleans Architecture series focuses on Uptown New Orleans. The City of Jefferson, bounded by Freret Street, Toledano Street, Joseph Street, and the Mississippi River, was an independent town from 1850 to 1870, and still forms the core of the Uptown section. Here tree-shaded streets, broad lawns, and great avenues serve as the setting for a splendid array of building types. From the ubiquitous "shotgun"-style cottages to the monumental mansions of St. Charles Avenue, the Jefferson City area is a treasure trove of nineteenth-century architecture.
The book describes how the development of Jefferson City was spurred by the growth of New Orleans, and made possible by improvements in drainage and the construction of the Carrollton Railroad - now the historic St. Charles streetcar line. A thoroughly researched history of the area tells how the land was transformed from the sprawling plantation granted to the Sieur De Bienville, to an agricultural suburb, to the elegant residential district of the 1870s and after. And a complete architectural inventory lists all the noteworthy buildings of the neighborhood.
NEW ORLEANS ARCHITECTURE Volume VII: Jefferson City
The Friends of the Cabildo
208 pp. 9 x 11½
No dust jackets